What product is affected?
Briggs & Stratton Models 12, 15, 20, and 21 OHV engines installed on snow blowers.
What brands are these engines found on?
Ariens, Canadiana, Craftsman, Frontier Equipment, Husqvarna, Poulan Pro, Simplicity and Snapper snow blowers.
What is the hazard?
Over priming of the snow blowers engine can cause excess fuel to overflow the carburetor, posing fire and burn hazards to users.
Briggs & Stratton has received 48 reports of fire associated with over priming. No injuries have been reported. Fire damage has been limited to the product.
What should you do if you have one of these products?
- Stop using snow blowers with these engines immediately.
- Contact any Authorized Briggs & Stratton Dealer to arrange for a FREE engine repair.
- For Frontier brand snow blowers you may contact any Authorized Frontier Dealer to arrange for a FREE engine repair.
- You can also contact Briggs & Stratton toll-free (8AM–5PM CT Mon–Fri) at 1-866-478-7855.
- For Craftsman brand snow blowers call Sears toll-free (7AM–9PM CT Mon–Sat) at 1-877-659-7017.
Location of engine number and date of manufacture (DOM)
This safety notice applies to all Briggs & Stratton OHV snow engines manufactured between date code 000601xx and 070301xx beginning with the following model numbers that are installed on snow blowers:
- 12A1xx, 12A3xx, 12A4xx, 12C1xx, 12C3xx, 12C4xx, 12D1xx, 12D2xx, 12D3xx, 12D4xx, 12E1xx, 12E3xx, 12E4xx, 12R1xx, 12R2xx
- 15A1xx, 15B1xx
- 20A1xx, 20A4xx, 20B4xx, 20C1xx, 20C4xx, 20D4xx, 20E1xx, 20E2xx, 20E3xx, 20E4xx, 20F4xx, 20G4xx
- 21A1xx, 21A4xx, 21B4xx, 21C1xx, 21C2xx, 21C3xx
For more information: